16 SQUARES OF BLACKSBURG
In 1772, Samuel Black purchased 600 acres in the Draper's Meadow area, however, he did not inhabit the land. When he passed away in 1792, he split the land evenly between his two sons, John and William, each of them recieving 300 acres.
John's land would evolve into Virginia Tech's campus while William's land would become the Town of Blacksburg, of which much of the original town exists today.
William described the land as "...a piece of ground in a healthy climate," and "a fertile neighborhood with excellent springs thereon..." He laid out a small grid of streets and lots -16 in all- on 38 acres of his land. William petitioned the state of Virginia to establish a town and in 1798 the Town of Blacksburg was founded, named after William himself.